Preaching the news

19 Sep 2010

Preaching the News for Sunday

Beatification of Cardinal Newman raises eyebrows for some . . . | . . . Beatification raises hope for others | Judge rules in favor of Catholic campus group | A happy 200th birthday—at least for some—in Mexico | An age-old remedy: Walking

Beatification of Cardinal Newman raises eyebrows for some . . .

“No servant can serve two masters,” Jesus says in this Sunday’s gospel about human loyalties divided between God and money. During a visit to Great Britain this Sunday, Pope Benedict XVI will beatify Cardinal John Henry Newman, the 19th-century English churchman who struggled with deeply divided loyalties . . .

Read More

. . . Beatification raises hope for others

Just as Saint Paul was “teacher of the Gentiles,” campus ministers in the U.S. hope Cardinal John Henry Newman’s beatification will help them make the British scholar, philosopher, and writer more familiar to today's college students . . .

Read More

Judge rules in favor of Catholic campus group

Saint Paul was unabashed in his apostolic zeal and proselytizing mission, as we hear in this Sunday’s excerpt from the First Letter to Timothy. A federal appeals court this week ruled that the University of Wisconsin at Madison was wrong to deny student funding to a Catholic campus group . . .

Read More

A happy 200th birthday—at least for some—in Mexico

This Sunday the psalmist stirs us with his powerful witness to God’s defense of the poor, whom “he raises . . . from the dust” to sit with “the princes of his own people.” Mexico celebrates 200 years of independence this week . . .

Read More

An age-old remedy: Walking

The prophet Amos castigates those “who trample upon the needy” and those who buy the poor “for a pair of sandals,” but for those 60 years of age or older a brisk walk in a good pair of sandals might be just what the doctor ordered . . .

Read More

Quote of the week

"We can say that no part of the country escapes sexual abuse of minors by one or several [clergy] members."

Read More

Fact of the week

Due to the bad job market and increased border security, the number of illegal immigrants entering the U.S. has plunged from 850,000 to 300,000 a year, according to a new Pew Hispanic Center study.

Read More