Preaching the news

28 Mar 2010

Preaching the News for Sunday

Reaction to historic healthcare legislation reaches fever pitch | The smart money is on student aid | The Vatican’s a-twitter--within limits | Volunteer spirit explodes | A weapon that strikes terror to the palate

Reaction to historic healthcare legislation reaches fever pitch

The Passion narrative this Sunday describes the disciples debating and breaking into argument during the Last Supper. The healthcare legislation passed in a contentious session of the House of Representatives last Sunday and signed into law Tuesday ...

Read More

The smart money is on student aid

The psalmist this Sunday calls on the Lord to "hasten to aid me." Tucked into the health-care reconciliation bill on its way to the Senate this week is a major revamping of federal student aid programs that will eliminate fees paid to banks who loan to students.

Read More

The Vatican’s a-twitter--within limits

In the Book of Isaiah this Sunday the prophet claims to have "a well-trained tongue" that can rouse the weary. The Vatican, which already has accounts on YouTube and Facebook, launched Twitter accounts in six languages on Sunday.

Read More

Volunteer spirit explodes

Christ "emptied himself" to serve the needs of humanity, says this Sunday's reading from the Letter to the Philippians. An increasing number of Americans are finding a way to serve others, ...

Read More

A weapon that strikes terror to the palate

Perhaps Isaiah and his "well-trained tongue" could handle this pepper, but the Indian military has decided that bad guys won't be able to. They are deploying the world's hottest chili in the fight against terrorism.

Read More

Quote of the week

"I think that one of the meanings of Christianity, of the Crucifixion, is that the holy can be unvalued, abused. . . . A great deal that you see in the world is the abuse of the sacred. But the intrinsic sacredness is invariable, is a constant."

Read More

Fact of the week

It is estimated it will take a number of years and $1 billion to remove the rubble of the 245,000 buildings ruined in last January’s Haitian earthquake.

Read More